4 tbspns extra virgin coconut oil
250 g unsalted nut butter (I use 1/2 ABC nut butter and 1/2 hazelnut butter, but use anything you like)
2 cups of crushed unsalted dry-roasted nuts (1 1/2 cups almonds, 1/2 cup cashews/pistachios. I’ve used a dry-roasted nut mix)
3 tbspns of sunflower and pumpkin seeds
2 tbspn coconut sugar
4 tbspns dessicated coconut
6 tbspns raw protein powder vanilla
6 tbspns raw cacao powder
2 tbspns organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses
50 g dried sour cherries or inca berries roughly chopped (or goji berries, or …)
Shredded coconut to roll balls in
- Melt coconut oil over a low heat in a double saucepan or put bowl in oven for short time. Note: the idea is to melt the oil, not cook it
- Add nut butter, mix
- Add dry ingredients and mix
- Add blackstrap molasses, mix. The texture should be sticky and clumped together. If it’s still crumbly and falls apart, just add more melted coconut oil or nut butter
- Roll into balls and coat with shredded coconut
- Store in refrigerator
* I wanted a crunchy texture so I put the nuts and seeds between sheets of greaseproof paper and crushed the nuts with a rolling pin.
* This is low sugar, low GI. You can adjust sweetness with proportions of coconut sugar and/or molasses.
- 16 Dec 2015Coconut Pancakes
- 07 Sep 2015Healthy Ginger Nut Snaps
- 04 Nov 2014Identifying Hidden Sugars in Your Diet
- 01 Sep 2014Mercola Mythbusting Food Fads – How healthy are those “health” foods?
- 03 Jul 2014Pete Evans of My Kitchen Rules talks to Dr Mercola